HSF #8 – The Rose Red Bodice

I’ve been consumed by the craziness of FCAT, but we’ve finally come out the other side. I’ve been working on things, but not had the energy or dedication to make myself sit down and blog about it. We’ve got three weeks left of school, which means that I’ll get to finally get some nonhistoric sewing in. Possibly even some summer dresses.

But moving on, I’ve got plans to come back and complete HSF #7. I had a lack of inspriation/I was determined to get The Rose Red Bodice finished. This was what I originally intended to do for the Fairy Tale Challenge, but due to construction difficulty and my stubborn desire to hand stitch the lining I wasn’t able to finish it in time. But I finally finished it!

DSCN0219

In case you’ve forgotten, here’s the inspiration, this one is a different page from the same picture book I used in the last post.

Image

The bodice turned out to be an amalgamation of the original pattern, standard Renaissance faire dress from my memory, and a painting.

Image

Image

It’s not the most historically accurate thing I’ve ever made. But since I only plan to wear it to the local Renaissance faire in a purely spectator manner, I’m not too worried about it.

I’ve been planning this outfit since the challenges for this year were released. I looked high and low for the perfect shade of green. In the end I found the perfect shade in a random sale bin. It is definitely not a period accurate fiber. It’s some kind of horrible, snag prone, polyester blend. The original pattern only called for layers of fabric, the fashion fabric and the lining. I decided that while I didn’t want to be wearing a pair of stays or anything too corset like to be running around a Renaissance Faire, I did need a little more stiffening. So I used scraps from the 1860’s Wine Dress to give a little more stiffness to the bodice. The lining is also leftovers from the same project (which I also used to line The Maroon Makeover Bodice). I started out by trying to flat line the lining to the middle layer, but that didn’t work out too well. So to make sure the slipper lining layer and the middle layer didn’t wiggle around I did a kind of modified quilting thing, which you can kind of see in the picture below.

DSCN0225

I put more boning in than the pattern called for, basing the placement on what made sense to me. There are bones on either side of the grommets, along the the bust darts, and the side seams.

I freely admit this plays a bit fast and loose with the historical aspect of this challenge. But my goal is to get the outfit to look as close as possible to the inspiration.

revised

The Challenge: UFOs and PHDs

Fabric: A random polyester green that I found on sale. The maroon lining is a poly blend. The inner stiffening lining is a cotton bottom weight material.

Pattern: Simplicity 3809

Year: 1500ish

Notions: Red and green thread, black cording for the lacing (which is already starting to fray so it’s going to have to be replaced with a sturdier braid), silver grommets, and steel boning.

How historically accurate is it? Eh, I freely confess not a lot. I’d say 30%, it’s more accurate than the original pattern, but I didn’t do a whole lot of research about how it should look historically.

Hours to complete: Lord, I couldn’t even tell you. It took 3 months of working on it off and on. The grommets alone took three hours, my punch didn’t want to go through three layers of fabric.

First worn: For pictures, I plan on wearing it to the next Renaissance Faire.

Total cost: The only thing I really had to pay for was the fabric, which was about $15. It’s got about $10 worth of boning. $3 worth of thread and $2 worth of black cording for lacing.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: